WASHINGTON

IRS Temporarily Evacuated Due to Possible Fumes

The Internal Revenue Service headquarters in Washington, D.C., was temporarily evacuated Friday morning after some batteries overheated.

Backup batteries in storage had overheated, D.C. Fire and EMS said.

A hazardous materials team and firefighters responded to the building on 1111 Constitutuion Ave NW to investigate. There were no reported injuries, but people were evacuated in case of fumes.

Firefighters mitigated the situation and there is "no further hazard," D.C. Fire & EMS said on Twitter about 11:30 a.m. Friday. An IRS spokeswoman confirmed that employees re-entered the building.

Contact Us