Injured Toddler A Reminder About Dangers of Window Cords

A three-year old boy found tangled in a window blind cord, unconscious and blue, is a reminder to parents and caretakers about the dangers of shade and blind cords around children.

The boy's life was saved by the quick action of a Prince George's police officer after he was found Thursday at his home in Oxon Hill.

On average, one child a month dies as a result of being strangled in a window covering cord, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

The CPSC has recalled millions and millions of window blinds and shades. For decades, it has been warning parents and caregivers about the danger of strangulation.

Back in 1995 the commission worked with manufacturers to eliminate the loops that strangle children, and came up with repair kits to fix existing blinds.

Today, the CPSC recommends you examine all shades and blinds in your home:

  • Make sure there are no accessible cords on the front, side or back.
  • Use cordless window coverings where children live or visit.

If you can’t afford to replace your blinds with cordless versions, there are free repair kits available to make your blinds and shades safer.

You can get the repair kits from the Window Covering Safety Council.

Read about CPSC's warning here.

Contact Us