Hoverboard Sparks Fire at DC Home; Family Displaced

A hoverboard is to blame for a house fire that has displaced a D.C. family Friday night, fire officials say.

The hoverboard caught fire while it was being charged at a home in the 4800 block of 1st St. SW, D.C. Fire and EMS said.

Three people were inside the house, including one adult and two children, and they all made it out safely.

Someone in the family received the hoverboard as a Christmas gift, fire officials said.

Last year, the US. Consumer Product Safety Commission recalled more than a half-million hoverboards because of lithium-ion batteries that can overheat and explode.

Stay with News4 and NBCWashington.com for updates to this developing story.

Contact Us