Germantown Residents Evacuated After Fire, Gasoline Smell

Germantown, Maryland, residents were forced from their homes after smelling gasoline in their building on Monday afternoon.

Montgomery County Fire Rescue hazmat units arrived at 19000 block of Queens Cross Lane around 4:30 p.m. They discovered a small fire in a utility room in one of the homes.

Residents had to be evacuated as crews from the Maryland Department of the Environment, Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection and Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission searched for the source of the gasoline smell. The fuel apparently got into the sewer lines, and those agencies are trying to track down the source of the gasoline.

Several buses were brought in to shelter the evacuated residents. It is unknown how long they will be out of their homes.

Contact Us