Former Police Officer and His Mother Get Life Sentences in Fatal Shooting Outside Maryland McDonald's

Authorities say shooting stemmed from child custody dispute

What to Know

  • The husband died, but the woman and her unborn child survived.

A former Maryland police officer and his mother were sentenced to life in prison for the double shooting in a McDonald's parking lot that killed a 25-year-old man and injured his pregnant wife, who was involved in a custody dispute with the police officer.

The evening of May 20, 2015, the victims, Robert and Krystal Mange, drove from Virginia to the Rock N Roll McDonald's in Waldorf to pick up her two young children from their father, former Prince George's County Police Officer Richard Conway, 28. Instead, at about 5:45 p.m., Conway's mother, 53-year-old Caroline Conway got into their car and held the Manges at gunpoint with her son's service weapon.

Caroline Conway demanded the victims surrender their cellphones so they couldn't call for help, according to the Charles County State's Attorney's Office. She also made Krystal Mange call her son to tell him the time and location of the exchange of the kids would be changed to 7:30 p.m. in La Plata.

When Robert Mange reached for the gun, Caroline Conway opened fire, and the Manges fled the car, the prosecution said. Robert Mange fell to the ground and Caroline Conway stood over him and shot him three more times. She then went around the car looking for Krystal Mange and shot her twice.

Caroline Conway called her son to pick her up, and he took her to the home of family acquaintances, where she confessed to the shooting, changed clothing and cleaned up, according to the prosecution. Witnesses at the home said Richard Conway put the gun and the clothing his mother took off in a plastic trash bag. The gun and clothing were never found.

At 7:30 p.m., Richard Conway tried to establish an alibi by calling and texting Krystal Mange, leaving messages asking where she was, according to the prosecution.

When they went home, police were waiting for them. Krystal Mange had identified Caroline Conway, the prosecution said.

The Manges were taken to a local hospital where Robert Mange was pronounced dead. Krsytal Mange was critically injured but survived, as did her unborn child.

Richard Conway was convicted of second-degree murder, use of a firearm in a murder, attempted first-degree murder, use of a firearm in an attempted first-degree murder, conspiracy to commit first-degree murder and first-degree assault. He was sentenced to life plus 50 years.

Caroline Conway was convicted of first-degree murder, use of a firearm in a murder, attempted first-degree murder, use of a firearm in an attempted first-degree murder, two counts of conspiracy to commit first-degree murder, first-degree assault and use of a firearm in a first-degree assault. She was sentenced to life without parole plus 60 years.

Contact Us