Food Left on the Stove Caused Maryland Fire

7-year-old girl died in blaze

Unattended cooking is to blame for a house fire that killed a little girl last week.

Firefighters pulled 7-year old Dejaiya Jones from the flames in Princess Anne Friday night after the fire spread from the kitchen to the rest of the home.

Preliminary reports from the state medical examiner found that Jones died of smoke inhalation.

Dejaiya's 97-year old great grandmother, Letitia Deshields, survived the fire. Relatives rescued her before firefighters arrived. She was treated for minor injuries.

The fire was ruled an accident by the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office. Damages to the house were estimated at more that $150,000.

Contact Us