Cause of Death Released in DC9 Case

The family of the man who died in October outside of the DC9 club near the U Street corridor said Tuesday that they received the death certificate from the D.C. Medical Examiner's office and that Ali Ahmed Mohammed's death is still considered a homicide.

The cause of death was listed as excited delirium associated with arrhythmogenic cardiac anomalies, alcohol intoxication and physical exertion with restraint.

Doctors say that means "an agitated, intoxicated patient was being restrained and had an arrhythmia (i.e. heart stops), resulting in death."

"The family wishes to commend those at the Medical Examiner's office for their hard work and dedication in helping to uncover that Ali¹s death was a homicide," family attorney Billy Martin said in the statement. "The family is confident that law enforcement will continue its investigation into Ali's tragic death and that the Medical Examiner's report is a step toward justice for Ali. The Medical Examiner's findings, however, also reminds us that Ali suffered a cruel and senseless death. Ali did not deserve to die for allegedly breaking a window. The family remains heartbroken and cannot have peace until those responsible for Ali¹s death are brought to justice."

The U.S. Attorney's Office released the following statement after the death certificate's release:

“The Medical Examiner has now completed an autopsy related to the unfortunate death of Ali Ahmed Mohammed. The Medical Examiner’s forensics examination has concluded that a variety of factors led to the death of Mr. Mohammed, and we intend to carefully study these conclusions as part of our legal analysis of this tragic incident. Our deliberate and comprehensive factual inquiry continues, and we again express our sincere appreciation to the family of Mr. Mohammed for their patience and understanding as we work to reach a just conclusion to our investigation.”

All charges were dismissed against five defendants in November. The charges, however, could be refiled.  They were dropped because there was an "insufficient basis" to back up the charges that the men conducted the alleged beating.

Mohammed, 27, of Silver Spring, Md., was kicked and beaten about a block from the bar at about 2:30 a.m. Oct. 15, police said. He was denied entry into the DC9 nightclub after closing and allegedly threw a rock or a brick through the club's window. Witnesses and police said the man was then chased down by the five suspects, who were inside the club at the time.

Mohammed was tackled and beaten, police said. He was barely conscious when police arrived, and he died at Howard University Hospital less than an hour later.

The co-owner, 46-year-old William Spieler, and the four employees -- Daryll Carter Jr., 20; Reginald Philips, 22; Evan Preller, 28; and Arthur Zaloca, 25 -- each was charged with one count of aggravated assault. Each was initially charged with second-degree murder, but those charges were reduced when the medical examiner couldn't link the cause of death to the alleged beating. All of those charges were later dropped without prejudice.

Stay with for more information.

Contact Us