Officials say a curling iron caused a fire large enough to displace two Rockville families just a week before Christmas.
"Heavy" flames were reported at a home in the 1000 block of Paul Drive in Rockville around 6:30 p.m. Friday.
One adult and two children managed to escape unharmed due to a smoke alarm, and firefighters rescued one family's dog.
Happy Holiday, regardless of fire that destroyed abR'ville home...the dog's name may be April, but FFs call her Lucky pic.twitter.com/0em6E5SgQ2— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) December 20, 2014
Three other adults and one more child have been displaced. The Red Cross is assisting. Damage is estimated at more than $125,000.
Pete Piringer with Montgomery County Fire and Rescue said the fire began on the home's second floor, with a curling iron that had been left on a bed.