Some of the best high school football teams in the country are right in the D.C. area.
St. John's College High School, Gonzaga College High School and DeMatha Catholic High School ranked fifth, 17th and 20th, respectively, in USA Today's 2019 Super 25 Preseason High School Football Rankings.
St. John’s, a private Catholic school in Northwest D.C., ranked no. 1 for all schools in the East, according to USA Today’s regional preseason rankings.
Gonzaga College High School, a Jesuit high school located near Union Station in D.C., came fourth in the Eastern school rankings. DeMatha, in Hyattsville, came in fifth.
USA Today high school sports staff selected St. John’s as the no. 5 football school in the nation thanks to its top talent: two of the 247Sports' top 20 players in the nation: Mekhail Sherman and Rakim Jarrett. Both attend the high school.
Sherman and Jarrett, both D.C. natives, are set to graduate in 2020. Sherman, ranked 13th in the country, committed to play at the University of Georgia. Jarrett, ranked 19th nationally, will play for Louisiana State University, according to 247Sports.
A few other schools in the area made the lists. Our Lady of Good Counsel in Montgomery County ranked 10th overall in the regional East list. And St. Frances Academy in Baltimore ranked sixth nationally and second regionally.
Local games to watch:
- Gonzaga vs. Our Lady of Good Counsel in Olney, Md. on Friday, Oct. 11 at 7 p.m.
- St. John’s College vs. Our Lady of Good Counsel in Olney, Md. on Friday, Oct. 18 at 7 p.m.
- DeMatha vs. Gonzaga in D.C. on Saturday, Oct. 19 at 2 p.m.
- DeMatha vs. St. John’s College in D.C. on Saturday, Nov. 2 at 1 p.m.
- Gonzaga vs. St. John’s College at Catholic University on Saturday, Nov. 9 at 3 p.m.