Woman Seriously Injured in Columbia Heights Apt. Fire

Fire officials estimate $50,000 in damages

WASHINGTON--   An unattended candle started a fire that raced through a Columbia Heights apartment early Monday morning and seriously injured a woman.

The fire occurred in the 1600 block of Harvard Street.  The woman was listed in serious condition with second- and third-degree burns over 60 percent of her body.  A man also suffered minor burns from the fire in the fourth-floor apartment.

The fire was caused by candles that tipped over and caught some material on fire. Damage was estimated to be at $50,000, according D.C. Fire Department spokesman Alan Etter.

Neither victim was identified, and their relationship is unknown.

Both are being treated at Washington Hospital Center.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us