Candle Sparks Blaze in Manassas

One person taken to hospital

A candle is to blame to for sending one person to a hospital in Manassas.

Rescue crews were called about 9:30 a.m. Saturday to 8024 Folkstone Road, after a fire broke out on the second floor of the single family home.

Three people were sleeping when they were awakened by the sound of smoke detectors.

One unidentified person suffered injuries that did not appear to be life threatening, and was taken to the hospital. Another victim was evaluated on the scene,  but was not seriously injured.

“They thought the candle was out, but it clearly wasn’t. We see a lot of these incidents happen this time of the year and it’s important to be mindful of candle safety,” said Prince William County Fire and Rescue Department Battalion Chief Joseph Robertson. 

The fire was quickly contained to the second floor of the home, and then extinguished.

The occupants were also able to pull a cat, dog and their pet rabbit from the burning home, said Robertson.


Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia local news, events and information

Man survives brutal stabbing attack in Dupont Circle

Virginia voters share their views on the primary: The News4 Rundown

Two adults – one of which was not home at the time of the blaze – and two children have been displaced.

December is the peak month for candle fires, with many of them starting because of holiday decorations, according to the National Fire Protection Agency.

Fire officials estimate that between 2003 and 2007, candles started more than 15,000 fires.

Contact Us