A Bowie, Maryland, firefighter remains hospitalized after suffering a medical emergency while battling a house fire Wednesday.
Prince George’s County firefighters went to a house fire on the 16200 block of Pointer Ridge Drive about 7 p.m. and found smoke and a fire in the kitchen.
After the fire was put out, a 22-year-old volunteer firefighter stated he felt ill, possibly from fatigue and dehydration, the fire department said.
He was transported to a nearby hospital and admitted overnight for additional tests and treatment. He is reported to be in good condition.
Firefighters said food cooking on the stove was the cause of the fire, which is the leading cause of fires and fire related injuries in Prince George’s County and the country, according to the fire department.
The Red Cross assisted the resident in finding temporary shelter.
Firefighters were unable to rescue the four cats inside the house. One pet was found deceased and the others were not located.