Blocked Vents Cause Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Virginia Apartments

Seven residents of an apartment complex in Herndon, Virginia, were hospitalized after the weekend blizzard due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

The complex’s ground floor furnace room had its vents completely blocked by snow. Fairfax County Fire and Rescue spokesman Randy Bittinger said the incident occurred on Elden Street at about 8 p.m. Sunday.

Bittinger said one of the apartment buildings was evacuated briefly while firefighters and workers resolved the situation. All seven residents who were hospitalized have recovered.

The fire department is urging people to clear snow from the exhaust pipes of furnaces, cars, gas stoves and dryers whenever possible.

Contact Us