Ask Liz: Trip Insurance, Bath Towels & Change of Address

In case you missed it on-air...

If travelers have to cancel a flight or incur extra expenses because of civil or political unrest, would trip insurance cover it? The Insurance Information Institute pointed us to

  • The website says that civil and political unrest are NOT a reason for a refund of a trip with standard coverage under most travel insurance policies.
  • However, there are several policies that do cover just the extra expenses if you’re delayed because of civil unrest.
  • In order to receive reimbursement, make sure you save documentation such as receipts when filing your claim.
  • The good news is that many airlines are offering adjustments free of charge.
  • American Airlines, British Airways & Iberia are waiving change fees for customers with scheduled travel through Egypt with tickets issued before Jan. 28.
  • However, customers must make these changes by Feb. 8. Just call your airline’s reservation line number to make the change.

Why don't new bath towels absorb very much water? Clothing and linens retailer Lands End says:

  • Manufacturers often use a fabric softener to make towels look fluffy and soft in the stores.
  • However, this softener also prevents the absorption of water by your new towel.
  • For this reason, it’s best to wash towels before you use them.
  • Lands End also recommends adding a cup of vinegar to that first wash cycle. The vinegar helps remove any extra soaps and softeners used when the towel was manufactured.

Why does the United States Postal Service charge a $1 fee for changing your address online? It says:

  • It says that a “Change of Address” may be filed online, over the phone, through the mail, or in person at your local post office.
  • However, if you choose to file over the Internet or on the phone, the U-S-P-S requires a 1-dollar verification fee.
  • This fee allows it to make sure you have the right to change the address.
  • If you prefer NOT to pay the fee, you can print and mail your “Change of Address” form or go to the Post Office and complete the form in person.

Got a question for Ask Liz? Send it to or connect with the Consumer Unit on Facebook or Twitter!

Contact Us