UVA Lacrosse Slaying Suspect Didn't Mean to Kill: Defense - NBC4 Washington

UVA Lacrosse Slaying Suspect Didn't Mean to Kill: Defense



    The lawyer for a former University of Virginia lacrosse player said Monday his client didn't intend to kill his girlfriend, who was a member of the women's team.

    George Huguely of Chevy Chase, Md., is charged in the May 3, 2010, killing of 22-year-old Yeardley Love, of Cockeysville, Md.

    His lawyer, Francis Lawrence, said Monday during a preliminary hearing that he will show that Love's death was unintentional. The hearing that continued into Monday night would determine whether there's probable cause for the case to proceed to a grand jury.

    Huguely is accused of kicking in the door of Love's Charlottesville apartment and slamming her head into a wall. Huguely has been in jail since his arrest and did not attend the hearing before Charlottesville General District Judge Robert Downer.

    Grand Jury to Consider UVA Murder Case

    [DC] Grand Jury to Consider UVA Murder Case
    Prosecutors reveal never-before-heard details about Yeardley Love's relationship with George Huguely, of Chevy Chase, Md, who's accused of killing her.
    (Published Tuesday, April 12, 2011)

    Earlier, Lisa Reeves, the lead investigator in the case, discussed police questioning of Huguely after Love's body was found. Reeves said Huguely was asked about the whereabouts of Love's missing laptop and he told them he tossed it in a trash bin in a nearby apartment complex where officers retrieved it.

    A video recording of Huguely's interview with police was given to the judge last week for review. Huguely told police he only wanted to talk to Love, and when told she was dead, he expressed disbelief, Julie Carey reported.

    "I never did anything that could do that to her, I swear to God," he told police. "I refuse to believe she's dead."

    Two of Huguely's former teammates earlier testified about their whereabouts the weekend of the slaying.

    Love's roommate testified about finding Love face down on the bed, the hole in her bedroom door, the blood on her pillow and sheets, and the scratches on her face. Initially concerned about alcohol poisoning, she told her boyfriend to get help. Love showed no signs of life, her roommate said.

    Love's mother issued a statement earlier Monday saying the family had faith in the justice system and trusts truth will prevail.