Three Injured in Fire That Destroyed Maryland Home - NBC4 Washington

Three Injured in Fire That Destroyed Maryland Home



    Three Injured in Fire That Destroyed Maryland Home

    A fire destroyed a Laytonsville, Md., home and injured two women and a firefighter, Montgomery County authorities said.

    County fire department spokesman Capt. Oscar Garcia says

    The fire department received a call early Friday about a fire involving a space heater at the home, Capt. Oscar Garcia said.

    There were no fire hydrants in the area, Garcia said, requiring crews to bring in water tankers to put out the blaze. Low temperatures caused some water to freeze, and smoke covered the area, making it unsafe at times.

    Laytonsville House Fire

    [DC] Laytonsville House Fire
    Fire injures 2 women and a firefighter in Laytonsville.
    (Published Friday, Jan. 8, 2010)

    A 59-year-old woman and a 23-year-old woman who escaped from the home were hospitalized with smoke inhalation and minor burns, Garcia said. One firefighter also sustained minor burns. Their injuries were not life-threatening.

    Authorities are looking into whether some space heaters they found caused the fire. A neighbor told NBC4's Darcy Spencer that the residents said the fire started when a heater was being filled with kerosene.