Tasered Suspect’s Family Takes Legal Action - NBC4 Washington

Tasered Suspect’s Family Takes Legal Action

“Why Was He So Mistreated?” Asks Suspect’s Mother



    How Weight Loss Gave One Woman Her Life Back
    William Bumbrey III

    The family of a man who died in the custody of Arlington, Va., police has hired high-powered lawyers who specialize in Taser death cases.

    Relatives of William Bumbrey III said he couldn’t have put up much of a fight with officers due to his extensive medical problems.

    "I'd like to know what really happened to my son and why he was so mistreated this way,” said Patricia Beatty, the suspect’s mother. 

    An officer was trying to arrest Bumbrey on Sunday for shoplifting. He’s accused of stealing a bar of soap and some hair clippers.

    Tasered Man's Family Hires High-Powered Attorney

    [DC] Tasered Man's Family Hires High-Powered Attorney
    The family of the man who died in the custody of Arlington police said his poor health made it unlikely that he fought with officers before being Tasered.
    (Published Friday, Jan. 22, 2010)

    The officer used a Taser on Bumbrey at the Pentagon City Metro Station. He said it was necessary to get Bumbrey under control.

    The 36-year-old suspect had been in and out of jail since he was 15 years old, including a 10-year prison term for a sex offense, according to his family.

    They insist he simply wasn’t strong enough to be violent with police. Lawyers for the Bumbrey family said he was suffering from high blood pressure and kidney disease. 

    The whole incident was caught on tape by Metro security cameras.

    "We believe that video tape itself will be the best indicator of what took place that led to the Tasering and death of William Bumbrey III,” said Bumbrey family attorney Ted Williams.

    Arlington County police said they won’t release the tape because it is evidence for the case.

    “We believe it would be faulty to the investigation if that evidence would be released and could harm potential witnesses, " said Crystal Nosal, of Arlington County police.

    As for the autopsy, police said it could be a couple of weeks before we get to see that.

    Arlington police said that so far, they've found no evidence that the officer used excessive force on the suspect.