Suspect in Pregnant Woman Attack Moved to Maryland - NBC4 Washington

Suspect in Pregnant Woman Attack Moved to Maryland

Police: Woman tried to cut out unborn baby



    Suspect in Pregnant Woman Attack Moved to Maryland
    Getty Images

    A woman accused of cutting a pregnant woman in an attempt to take her unborn child has been returned to Maryland, Prince George's County police said.

    Veronica Deramous, 40, of Suitland, Md., who is charged with attempted first-degree murder, false imprisonment and other related charges, was ordered held in custody until her Jan. 5 hearing Wednesday.

    She was moved to the Prince George's County jail on Tuesday from Arlington County, Va., where she was arrested.

    Deramous lured 29-year-old Teka Adams, who was in her third term, from a Washington homeless shelter to her apartment with a promise of baby clothes and other items for the unborn child, police said. Adams was held for days and escaped after Deramous tried to cut the unborn baby from her body, police said.

    Community Helps Pregnant Stabbing Victim

    [DC] Community Helps Pregnant Stabbing Victim
    Strangers donate clothes, money and shelter to a new mom recovering from a vicious attack in Prince George?s County.
    (Published Wednesday, Dec. 9, 2009)

    "She bound the victim's hands and proceeded to try to cut the victim's abdomen to try to get the baby out," said Officer Michelle Reedy, a spokeswoman for Prince George's County police. "They believe she wanted the victim's baby."

    Deramous told some people she was pregnant even though she was not, police said.

    Adams is expected to recover. Her daughter, Miracle Sky, was delivered by emergency Cesarean section.

    When police found Adams her "abdomen was cut and her intestines, stomach and placenta were exposed," according a police report. In the apartment, officers found bloody towels and a bowl with water and washcloths on a bedroom floor. They also found a box cutter and some razor blades, which they believe Deramous used to cut Adams, Reedy said.

    According to the police report, Deramous had her 17-year-old son hold Adams' hands behind her back as she bound her with duct tape and then held her in a bedroom for several days. Her son has not been charged.

    On Saturday, Deramous told Adams: "You're strong, you can handle what I'm going to do to you," the report said. She then turned up the volume of the TV in the bedroom, gagged Adams and began to cut her abdomen open. Adams moaned in pain and Deramous stopped, police said.

    While Deramous slept early Sunday, Adams freed herself and fled the apartment. She went upstairs and knocked on doors before a neighbor called police. Deramous' son told police after his mother saw Adams outside, the two women began fighting and neighbors came out, the report said. Deramous and her son then left before police arrived.

    A nun who answered the phone at the Queen of Peace, Missionaries of Charity shelter for pregnant women in southeast Washington told The Associated Press that the victim had stayed there for at least one month and left the shelter last week, but did not know Deramous.

    The county Department of Social Services said it is accepting donations on behalf of the family, including clothing and money, after receiving several calls on Tuesday from those wanting to help.

    Adams and her daughter, Miracle Sky, who was delivered Sunday by emergency Cesarean section, are recovering at a hospital.

        Associated Press Writer Sarah Karush contributed to this report.