Suspected Gunman Shot, Killed by Police in Northeast D.C. - NBC4 Washington

Suspected Gunman Shot, Killed by Police in Northeast D.C.

Multiple shots fired



    Officers shot and killed a man who was randomly shooting at homes in northeast D.C. Monday evening, police said. (Published Tuesday, Dec. 13, 2011)

    A children's playground in northeast D.C. was behind crime tape Tuesday morning after an overnight police-involved shooting that left one dead.

    D.C. police went to the Clay Terrace neighborhood near the Prince George's County border about 7 p.m. Monday after reports of multiple shots fired.

    Police Chief Cathy Lanier, who visited the scene Monday night, said that an initial caller indicated a man was walking down the middle of Clay Terrace randomly firing at houses and apartment buildings.

    Chief Lanier said a subsequent caller told authorities that the man appeared to be under the influence of PCP.

    Clay Terrace Shooting

    [DC] Clay Terrace Shooting
    D.C. police responded to a northeast D.C. neighborhood after reports of a man shooting randomly at buildings. Officers ended up shooting the man.
    (Published Tuesday, Dec. 13, 2011)

    The suspected gunman has been identified as 20-year-old Michael Ezekel Epps, of Windsor Mill, Maryland.  Lanier said Epps continued shooting when officers arrived at the scene,  leading officers to shoot him.

    "Officers gave commands for the gunman to drop the gun," Lanier said. "He did not. The officers fired their weapons at the suspect and he went down. They immediately went to where the suspect was and began to administer CPR."

    Lanier said Epps, who was known to police from previous incidents, fired multiple shots, shooting "for a period of time."

    Some neighbors claim Epps complied with police and put his gun down before police shot him, News4's Pat Collins reported. Lanier denies that claim.

    Police on Tuesday morning said no officers or residents were injured in the incident.  Four officers were involved in the shooting.

    Epps was pronounced dead at an area hospital. He had recently been released from prison after convictions on gun and drug charges, according to court records.

    Police continued the investigation at the scene during the daylight hours.

    Follow NBC Washington to get the latest news, events and entertainment anytime, anywhere: on air, online, and on Facebook // Twitter