Officer Hospitalized for Heroin Exposure on Job in McLean - NBC4 Washington

Julie Carey, David Culver and the News4 team covering where you live

Officer Hospitalized for Heroin Exposure on Job in McLean

    Winter Olympics PyeongChang 2018 Medal Count
    Country
    Total
    1
    Norway
    13121035
    2
    Germany
    137525
    3
    Canada
    97824
    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Officer Hospitalized for Heroin Exposure on Job in McLean

    A Fairfax County police officer had to be hospitalized after coming into contact with someone who was overdosing on heroin. News4's Jackie Bensen reports police departments are having to consider new safety precautions. (Published Thursday, Oct. 26, 2017)

    A police officer was hospitalized after coming into contact with heroin while responding to a call of someone passed out in a car in McLean, Virginia, officials say.

    The officer was sickened while on the job last week on the 8100 block of Watson Street, near the upscale Tysons Corner Center mall.

    Fairfax County police received a call about a person passed out in a car. Medics treated someone who was unconscious and took the person to a hospital.

    Officers searched the car the person had been inside, and one officer was "overcome," police said.

    The officer was taken to a hospital, where it was determined that contact with heroin caused the illness. Information on the officer's condition was not known immediately.

    The investigation is ongoing.

    The news came as President Donald Trump declared the opioid crisis a public health emergency.

    Fairfax County Police Department spokesperson Julie Parker said the department is reviewing protocols on how officers respond to suspected opioid overdoses.

    In June, the DEA issued a warning to law enforcement, urging caution at overdose scenes in order to avoid dangerous contact with powdered fentanyl and fentanyl/heroin mixes.

    A Stafford County Sheriff’s deputy had to be treated in August with the opioid overdose drug naloxone after he began passing out an an overdose scene.