Magnifying Glass Caused Fire in Virginia Home, Police Say - NBC4 Washington

Julie Carey, David Culver and the News4 team covering where you live

Magnifying Glass Caused Fire in Virginia Home, Police Say

    Winter Olympics PyeongChang 2018 Medal Count
    Country
    Total
    1
    Norway
    78722
    2
    Germany
    94417
    3
    Canada
    55515
    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    4 to Watch: US Goes for Repeat Sweep
    Shutterstock
    File photo

    A fire that erupted inside a Fairfax County, Virginia home on Friday was caused by a magnifying glass, fire department officials say.

    The blaze about 9 a.m. Friday in West Springfield was caused by direct sunlight shining through a magnifying glass, the Fairfax County Fire Department said. The sunshine ignited an office chair.

    Smoke detectors sounded on the 8500 block of Tuttle Road and alerted the residents. Firefighters encountered smoke on the first floor of the two-story home and then put out the flames. No one was hurt.

    The fire caused an estimated $1,900 damage.