Good Samaritan Saves Family from Fire - NBC4 Washington

Good Samaritan Saves Family from Fire

Man saves 4 children, father from fire

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Celebrating Life After Breast Cancer

    BRENTWOOD, Md. -- A family has a Good Samaritan to thank for alerting them to a fire in their home on Sunday.

    Willie Powell, 44, was driving home with his wife at about  2:30 p.m. Sunday, when he noticed a fire coming from a second-floor window of a house in the 4000 block of Volta Avenue in Brentwood.

    Powell then stopped the car and ran into the house, getting four children out safely. One of the children told the Good Samaritan that their father was asleep in an upstairs bedroom.

    Powell then located the 33-year-old man sleeping in a room consumed with thick black smoke. Powell was able to get the man out safely.

    Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in about 15 minutes, limiting the damage to the bedroom area of the second floor.

    An electrical malfunction in a window air conditioner is said to have triggered the blaze. Damages are estimated at $20,000.

    Firefighters said the home did not have a working smoek alarm.

    Residents are reminded to place new batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide alarms when adjusting for daylight saving time, which took place this weekend. Anyone who needs a working smoke alarm can get one installed for free by calling 301-864-SAFE.