Funeral For Toddler Killed by Truck in Temple Hills - NBC4 Washington

Funeral For Toddler Killed by Truck in Temple Hills

1-year-old Sherrik Farmer was hit by truck March 14



    A funeral was held for a 1-year-old hit and killed by a car while he sat in his stroller. Derrick Ward talks to the child's family about the tragic accident. (Published Saturday, March 30, 2013)

    Funeral services were held in D.C. Saturday for a one-year-old boy who was struck and killed over two weeks ago by a truck in Temple Hills.

    Sherrik Farmer was being pushed in a stroller along Barnabas Road March 14 by his father, Sherrik Sr., when the driver of a pickup truck apparently lost control and drove up onto the sidewalk. 

    Sherrik's funeral was held at Lincoln Park United Methodist Church on North Carolina Avenue in Northeast. His father, 24, who suffered a broken leg in the crash, walked on crutches alongside the boy's mother, Tanisha Williams, 21.

    "We just want to thank everyone who came and showed their support to help us through this day," Farmer said in a quavering voice. Among those who attended the funeral was Prince George's County Police Lt. Vondell Smith, who was on his way home from duty when he came upon the crash site and tried to give Sherrik CPR.

    1-Year-Old Struck, Killed in Md.

    [DC] 1-Year-Old Struck, Killed in Prince George's
    The driver of a pickup truck apparently lost control and struck a baby and his father in Temple Hills, Md.
    (Published Friday, March 15, 2013)

    The service was presided over by the Rev. Dr. Diane Dixon-Proctor, Lincoln Park's senior pastor. 

    "I think that because tomorrow is going to be Easter Sunday morning, and the Resurrection, it would make it easier for me if I were sitting in [the family's] shoes," she told News4's Derrick Ward.

    However, Dixon-Proctor added, "It's a difficult time. The parents are young, their friends are young, and it's hard for them to grasp it all and to be able to walk on. And it is my hope that they'll be able to find that strength in knowing that God is ever-present in their life. They'll never forget it, they'll never get over it, but they will come to peace with it if they can call upon their faith in God."

    Prince George's County Police are still investigating the accident. No charges have been filed.