A soldier who barricaded himself in a home at the Fort Eustis military base reportedly surrendered overnight to authorities.
According to the Newport News base's Facebook page, the soldier was then taken to a medical facility for a health evaluation.
During the barricade situation Thursday night, the Department of Defense told WAVY.com there was no active shooter. Base spokesman Capt. Kevin Whitlatch said no evacuations were ordered and that the man is an active duty soldier.
Whitlatch released the following statement:
A man has barricaded himself inside his home at Air Force Base Fort Eustis. He is alone and it is unclear whether he has a weapon, yet he's shown no signs of any violent intent. Base security got a call around 8:30pET from his wife saying she had been locked out of the house. Local law enforcement and security police are at the scene.
It wasn't immediately clear if he had a weapon.
Messages left for the base public information officer by The Associated Press weren't immediately returned.
Fort Eustis is a training base that's under the command of the U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command.