Fireplace Ashes Caused House Fire in Fairfax County, Officials Say - NBC4 Washington

Julie Carey, David Culver and the News4 team covering where you live

Fireplace Ashes Caused House Fire in Fairfax County, Officials Say

    Winter Olympics PyeongChang 2018 Medal Count
    Country
    Total
    1
    Norway
    13141138
    2
    Canada
    1181029
    3
    Germany
    138728
    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Mother of Five Scared Straight After Heart Attack in her 40s
    Shutterstock

    Fireplace ashes led to a house fire in Fairfax County on Thursday evening, officials said.

    Fire officials said Friday that the blaze started because fireplace ashes were left too close to combustibles in the home.

    No one was home when the fire broke out at 6012 Pike Branch Road in the Alexandria area. Fairfax County firefighters found heavy smoke pouring from the home's basement and first floor around 7:10 p.m.

    Crews initially had trouble finding the source of the fire because it was hidden inside a wall and void spaces, but were able to put out the fire in about 15 minutes.

    Damages are estimated at $65,000.