The mission of these agencies and organizations is to advocate and protect the consumer. You can find answers to many of your questions from these resources.
- Better Business Bureau – Metro Washington DC
1411 K Street, N.W. Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20005
Business reports that include background, licensing, consumer experience and other useful information.
- D.C. Department of Consumer & Regulatory Affairs (DCRA)
- D.C. OAG
File a consumer complaint: http://oag.dc.gov/service/consumer-protection-asst
- DC Office of the People’s Counsel (protection for utility customers)
File a complaint here: http://www.opc-dc.gov/?option=com_opc&view=opcfilecomplaints
- Department of Consumer Affairs
1100 4th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20024
- District of Columbia Department of Justice
Judiciary Center Building
555 Fourth Street, NW
Washington, DC 20530
- District of Columbia – Housing Authority
1133 North Capitol Street N.E.
Washington, DC 20002
Information on housing assistance programs for low-income families.
- Housing Authority – Prince George’s County, Maryland
9200 Basil Court Suite 107
Largo, MD 20774
- Maryland Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division
9200 Basil Court, Suite 301
Largo, MD 20774
Consumer complaints against a business / company. Guidance and advice to consumers to resolve disputes.
- Maryland OAG
File Consumer Complaint: https://www.oag.state.md.us/Consumer/complaint.htm
- Maryland Office of People’s Counsel (involves consumer protection for utility customers)
Consumer Protection (including info on energy suppliers): http://www.opc.state.md.us/ConsumerCorner/ConsumerProtection.aspx
- Montgomery County, Maryland, Office of Consumer Affairs
Complaint form: http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/OCP/Resources/Files/OCP_Forms/Complaint_rev_02212014.pdf
- Office of Consumer Protection
100 Maryland Avenue, Suite 330
Rockville, MD 20850
Anonymous Tip Line: 240.777.3681
Assist consumers and merchants from Montgomery County in disputes, using a certified mediator.
- State of Maryland Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20530-0001
- Commonwealth of Virginia State Corporation Commission
- State of Virginia, Eastern District Department of Justice
2100 Jamieson Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22314
- Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
102 Governor Street
Richmond, Virginia 23219
- Virginia Housing Development Authority
601 S. Belvidere Street
Richmond, VA 23220
- Virginia OAG
File Consumer Complaints: http://www.oag.state.va.us/citizen-resources/consumer-protection
Information about licensing requirements and other resources for unlicensed contractors.