Couple Say Dog Was Burned at Pr. George's SPCA Clinic - NBC4 Washington

Couple Say Dog Was Burned at Pr. George's SPCA Clinic

Veteranarian says dog is suffering from dermatitis



    Local Clinic Responds to Dog Burn Allegations

    A family pet is struggling to survive serious burns on its back. The owners want answers after they dropped the dog off to be spayed. News4's Darcy Spencer has more on the allegations and the response from a local SPCA clinic. (Published Saturday, March 9, 2013)

    A Prince George's County couple says that their dog suffered burns after it was taken to be neutered at a local Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals clinic.

    Howard and Sarah Carter Throckmartin tell News4's Darcy Spencer that they began to notice something was wrong with their one-year-old Jack Russell Terrier, Pearl, after she returned from the clinic in Forestville last month.

    "[She had] little hot spots on her back," Sarah Throckmartin said. "Scabs."

    Pearl was taken to a vet, who diagnosed her with burns and dermatitis. The Throckmartins say they were told that the burns could have been caused by a heating pad used to keep pets warm during operations.

    Tamela Terry, President of the SPCA/Humane Society of Prince George's County, admitted to Spencer that the organization does use heating pads, but claims that Pearl more likely had an allergic reaction.

    "Obviously, if we were negligent of somehow responsible for this, then we would take responsibility for it," Terry said.

    Meanwhile, Pearl was due to have more emergency surgery Saturday, adding to the hundreds of dollars in vet bills the Throckmartins have already paid.

    As Howard Throckmartin put it, "It breaks my heart to see what she's going through."