9 Hospitalized for Severe Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in DC Boardinghouse - NBC4 Washington

9 Hospitalized for Severe Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in DC Boardinghouse

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    New Shoulder Replacement Procedure Gives the Gift of Movement
    Pavel L Photo and Video / Shutterstock.com
    FILE PHOTO (Pavel L Photo and Video / Shutterstock.com)

    Authorities say nine residents of a D.C. boardinghouse have been treated for severe carbon monoxide exposure.

    News outlets report the D.C. Fire Department says eight occupants of the three-story dwelling on the 500 block of U Street NW were transported to a hospital Sunday morning, while a ninth person took themselves to the hospital.

    Fire department Capt. Mark St. Laurent said the occupants experienced flu-like symptoms.

    St. Laurent says fire officials found a faulty furnace in the basement of the boardinghouse.

    Officials said the occupants have since been released from the hospital.

    This is the second major carbon monoxide-related incident in the city in recent days, after fire officials say a six-story apartment building in Northwest D.C. was evacuated Nov. 9.