More than 60 people had to walk -- and one had to be carried -- down the stairs of the Washington Monument Sunday from its observation deck when an elevator stopped working, the National Park Service revealed Tuesday.
Sixty-two people walked, and one person had to be carried down the 500-foot monument in an evacuation "stair chair," the Park Service reported.
Initial reports were that only one person was on the Monument's observation deck when the elevator stopped working. The Park Service said a text message that had been "taken out of context" was to blame for the incorrect information.
The Monument will remain closed to visitors until at least Thursday as technicians repair a mechanical alignment issue with the elevator.
The issue is believed to be a result of multiple shutdowns caused by intermittent power losses in the past week, the National Park Service said.
The elevator lost power Sunday at 9:30 p.m., the National Park Service said. No visitors were inside the elevator at the time. One visitor on the observation level was escorted to the ground level via the stairs.
An electrical issue with the elevator also closed the monument last week.