Prince George's County

3 former Wise High School football players, including Vikings rookie, killed in Upper Marlboro crash

"I am absolutely crushed by this news," the Vikings' head coach said in a statement.

NBC Universal, Inc.

A crash in Upper Marlboro, Maryland, killed three former football teammates from Dr. Henry A. Wise Jr. High School early Saturday, Maryland State Police announced. All three had played football in college, and one had just been drafted into the NFL.

The three men were identified as 24-year-old Khyree Jackson, a Minnesota Vikings rookie; 23-year-old Isaiah Hazel and 24-year-old Anthony "A.J." Lytton Jr. Charges are pending against a 23-year-old driver accused of speeding and crashing into the Dodge Charger carrying the three men, Maryland State Police said.

Jackson, Hazel and Lytton had won a state championship together while playing for Wise. They were still friends, according to Dalawn Parrish, their former coach and teacher at Wise.

Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said he's mourning the loss.

"Maryland is heartbroken over the loss of [Khyree Jackson] this morning. A graduate of Wise High School and an NFL draft pick, Khyree was a true talent who touched so many lives. We mourn him and the two other souls lost in this crash," Moore said on X, formerly known as Twitter. "The First Lady and I are keeping their families in our hearts."

Parrish, their former coach and teacher, remembered them as exceptional.

“Isaiah had an infectious, infectious attitude. He was extraordinary. Everybody loved being around him,” he said. “A.J. Phenomenal athlete. You know, he could do anything he wanted.”

Jackson’s belief in himself was incredible, Parrish said.

Jackson was a cornerback for the Vikings after getting drafted into the NFL in the fourth round.

"He always had high aspirations," Jackson's grandfather, Anthony Jackson, told News4. He was among friends and family who went to the scene of the horrific crash.

Khyree Jackson's entire family was proud of his achievements.

"He was doing the best that he could possibly do," Anthony Jackson said. "In life and with the family."

Kevin O'Connell, head coach for the Vikings, released a statement in the aftermath of the fatal crash.

"I am absolutely crushed by this news," the statement reads. "Khyree brought a contagious energy to our facility and our team. His confidence and engaging personality immediately drew his teammates to him."

"In our short time together, it was evident Khyree was going to develop into a tremendous professional football player, but what was more impressive was his desire to become the best person he could be for his family and those around him," the statement continued. "I am at a loss for words. My heart goes out to Khyree's family, friends, teammates and coaches."

Jackson, a Waldorf native, had previously been a starting cornerback at the University of Oregon and played at the University of Alabama and Fort Scott Community College.

Lytton was a cornerback who played for Penn State and Florida State.

Hazel was a defensive back, playing for four years with the University of Maryland before finishing up his college football career with UNC Charlotte. He was still chasing his dreams of being in the NFL.

The tragedy prompted an outpouring of sympathy from across Maryland and the United States.

Speeding driver hit 2 cars, including Charger carrying victims, police say

Three vehicles were involved in the crash: a silver Infiniti Q50, a silver Chevrolet Impala and a maroon Dodge Charger. All three men killed were inside the Charger.

Investigators believe alcohol may have been a factor in the crash, Maryland State Police said.

According to police, the 23-year-old woman driving the Infiniti was speeding on northbound Route 4 in Prince George's County, not far from Joint Base Andrews, when she tried to change lanes.

She ran into the two other cars, police said. The Infiniti first hit the Dodge Charger, then the Chevy Impala.

The Charger was sent off the right side of the road, where it struck multiple tree stumps before stopping, police said.

Video from the scene filmed hours later showed the wreckage of the Charger. The back of the car was torn away from the rest of the body of the vehicle, leaving the back seat exposed. Deployed airbags, deflated in the time since they went off, hung out of an open passenger-side door.

Debris littered the ground several feet down the road from the car in the grass off to the side, including half of the back bumper and a complete tire, separated from the rest of the vehicle.

Hazel and Jackson were both declared dead at the scene of the crash by first responders. Lytton was transported to the University of Maryland Capital Region Medical Center, where he later died. Hazel had been driving the Charger, police said, while Jackson sat in the front passenger seat and Lytton sat in the back seat.

The driver and two passengers in the Infiniti were uninjured.

The driver of the Impala, who was the only person inside that car, was also uninjured, and refused medical treatment at the scene, police said.

The woman driving the Infiniti has not yet been charged, as the crash is still under investigation. According to Maryland State Police, charges are pending. Police said they would consult with the Office of the Prince George's County State's Attorney.

Northbound lanes of Route 4 were closed north of Dower House Road several hours after the crash on Saturday morning, before reopening at 10:20 a.m.

"We're going to try and get through this as best as we possibly can," Anthony Jackson said.

Contact Us