2-Year-Old Entangled in Window Cords Dies - NBC4 Washington

2-Year-Old Entangled in Window Cords Dies



    How Telehealth Technology is Revolutionizing Healthcare

    A 2-year-old Maryland boy has died after becoming entangled in window cords last weekend, according to police.

    Police responded to the 11400 block of Rolling House Road in Rockville Saturday morning.

    The details surrounding the incident have not been released.

    Last month, a 6-year-old girl passed away after becoming entangled in cords attached to window coverings in a Suitland, Md. home.

    Window blinds are one of the top hidden hazards in the home, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. They say in 22 days, four children nationwide have been strangled to death from cords on window coverings.

    Strangulation by window covering strings and cords is an injury typically seen in children age 5 and under. Safe Kids Worldwide, a global organization dedicated to preventing injuries in children, recommends the following safety tips:

    • Keep cords and strings, including those attached to window blinds, out of your child's reach. Move all cribs, beds, furniture and toys away from windows and window cords.
    • Use cordless blinds in homes with young children.
    • Examine existing shades and blinds for exposed cords. Cords should be placed out of reach and furniture near the window should be moved.
    • Install a tension device can also be installed on nylon cords to keep them taunt.
    • If you live in an apartment building or home where you are not allowed to replace your window coverings, follow basic window cord safety rules and order free retrofit kits from the Window Covering Safety Council at www.windowcoverings.org.