Tracy Morgan's Pad Scorched by Burning Fish Tank

78 firemen on the scene

In an episode that will surely become fodder for "30 Rock" writers, a fire was started by a fish tank in the home of funnyman Tracy Morgan.

A total of 78 firefighters from 25 units responded to a blaze that began in Morgan's apartment on the 16th floor of Trump Place at 160 Riverside Blvd., officials told the New York Post.

The comedian was home at the time, but was not injured. All of the fish - including a shark - also survived.

The blaze, which began at 8:34 a.m Wednesday and was declared under control by 9:01, appeared to have started when either a light or pump attached to the fish tank in his home shorted. Sprinklers in Morgan's home -- and others on the floor -- had doused the fire and caused water damage across many other units in the building by the time firemen arrived on the scene.

The "Saturday Night Live" alum -- who starred in the sketch below as Brian Fellow, a man with a "6th-grade education and an abiding love for all god's creatures" -- thanked the Fire Department afterward.

"My thanks to the New York Fire Department for their quick action," Morgan said in a statement. "Fortunately, the fire did not spread and no one in the building was hurt. Even the fish are okay."

"The View" co-host Sheri Shepherd, who lives in the same building and plays Morgan's TV wife on "30 Rock," mentioned on the air that she had gotten a call from her nanny telling her about the fire and informing her that her floor had been flooded.

Contact Us