Prosecutors: DC Mansion Murder Suspect Daron Wint's Alibi Is Dead

What to Know

  • Daron Wint testified the night the Savopoulos family and their housekeeper were held hostage, he was at his friend Ed's.
  • The prosecution said Ed is dead and no one in Wint's family can corroborate the alibi.
  • The prosecution also said Wint's half-brother took police to Wint's burned out minivan.

In cross-examination of the man charged in the D.C. mansion murders case, prosecutors aggressively and meticulously tried to tear down his version of the moments before and after the crime.

A fiery prosecutor attacked every angle of Daron Wint’s story about where he was in hours before and after the murders.

Wint testified that in the early morning hours on May 13, 2015, the same day three members of the Savopoulos family and their housekeeper were held hostage in their Northwest D.C. home, his half-brother Darell Wint asked to use his minivan for the day and dropped him off at his friend Ed’s house in Southeast D.C., where he spent the night.

The prosecution told the jury Thursday that Daron Wint’s only alibi, his friend Ed, was dead. None of his family members could corroborate his story.

The prosecution seemingly caught the defendant off guard when they told the jury that his half-brother cooperated with investigators. Days after the minivan was set on fire and Daron Wint was arrested, Darell Wint was the one who took police to the location of the car fire and said that Daron Wint burned the debris, the prosecution said.

On redirect, the defense tried to make it clear to the jury that Daron Wint has no idea Ed was dead. They called two other witnesses who confirmed Ed did live near Atlantic Street in Southeast.

The prosecution also pointed out that Daron Wint has a history of being angry and lying to family members, his fiancée and police.

Daron Wint is charged with murder in the 2015 deaths of Savvas Savopoulos, 46; his wife, Amy, 47; their 10-year-old son, Philip, and housekeeper Veralicia Figueroa, 57. He is accused of holding the victims captive, extorting $40,000 and setting their Northwest Washington mansion on fire.

The trial will resume Monday morning.

Contact Us