Maryland is trying to prepare for tens of thousands of jobs slated to arrive in the state over the next several years due to military base realignment and closure, also known as BRAC.
The five areas include:
- Baltimore city's Westport waterfront area
- an area near the MARC Odenton Station in Anne Arundel County
- land near Andrews Air Force Base at the Branch Avenue Metro Station
- an area in historic Frederick near the Frederick Transit Center.
- an area in the city of Laurel along Route 1 near the Laurel MARC station.
The so-called "BRAC Zones" provide financial incentives to local governments to build infrastructure in areas where growth is expected from BRAC.