WASHINGTON — The federal government recognizes the third Monday in February as Washington’s Birthday, while Maryland calls it Presidents’ Day, and Virginians celebrate it as George Washington Day.
No matter what you call it, Feb. 20 is a great day to enjoy free events with the family, as well as shop Presidents’ Day sales on items such as appliances, mattresses and more.
- National Parks: On Feb. 20, admission is free to all National Parks that charge an entry fee. More details on the NPS site.
- Mount Vernon: Mount Vernon is offering free admission Feb. 20 to celebrate George Washington’s birthday. More details on the Alexandria website.
- Library of Congress: The Library of Congress will hold a Main Reading Room Open House on Feb. 20. There will be special activities for kids in the Library’s Young Readers Center. More details at the LoC site.
- Ferry Farm: Feb. 20 is Archaeology Day at Ferry Farm, George Washington’s boyhood home. Admission is free. Visit its Facebook page.
- George Washington Birthday Parade: The annual George Washington Birthday Parade in Old Town Alexandria starts at 1 p.m. Feb. 20. Visit the event website.
- Energy Star: Buy a qualifying Energy Star product in Maryland Feb. 18 to Feb. 20, and you won’t pay the state’s 6 percent sales tax.
- Ashley Furniture: Ashley Furniture Homestore is offering savings of up to 25 percent.
- Best Buy: Best Buy has cut prices on major appliances by up to 35 percent.
- hhgregg: hhgregg has discounts of up to 35 percent off appliances.
- J.C. Penney: J.C. Penney is serving up discounts of up to 60 percent on home items.
- Old Navy: At Old Navy, enjoy up to 50 percent off store-wide.
- Overstock: Overstock is taking up to 70 percent off home, garden and patio items.
- Sears: Sears has savings of up to 40 percent off appliances, up to 50 percent off tools, and up to 60 percent off mattresses.
- Children’s Place: At The Children’s Place, take 50 percent off most items, and up to 80 percent off all clearance.