Read this and you'll look smart. You don't have to be intelligent to impress people -- you just have to fake it. Here's a daily list of fascinating articles that will wow your friends, surprise your co-workers and make you seem sharp at a cocktail party or over the lunch counter....
- A fridge thrown out of the International Space Station last year was expected to crash somewhere on Earth last night.
- Obama's non-shaving Ohio campaign manager may be onto something. Or he may just be superstitious. Psychological research indicates that the human mind resorts to superstitious behaviors when faced with a sequence of events that they implicitly believe they can change.
- The brain is crammed with all kinds of memories and a new study sheds light on why we can't always find specific memories when we need to.
- Starbucks announced it would give away free coffee on Election Day to anyone who voted and promoted it with a TV spot -- a first for the company.
- New Orleans has embraced the 'biennial' for the tourist-magnet, marketing tool that it is. The result is Prospect.1, an exhibition featuring the work of nearly 80 artists that has a mix of the good and the very bad.
- The word 'facetious' comes from the French and Latin meaning of facetie and facetieux, meaning witty, funny and agreeable. In English, the word took on a more negative connotation.