Celebrate the holidays in the DMV with C3PO (yes, the real one), chocolate tastings, movie screenings, and toy exhibits during the Smithsonian Holiday Festival on the weekend of Dec. 5-6.
Ten Smithsonian museums around the D.C. area are taking part in this two-day holiday fest, with the main event being held at the National Museum of American History (1400 Constitution Ave, NW).
Go for musical performances, book signings, trunk shows, kids' activities, and our favorite: space food sampling. Because everyone loves the taste of freeze-dried ice cream.
Worth the Trip
If you're an aviation enthusiast, make your way to the Air and Space Museum on Saturday, Dec. 5 where you can build a biplane ornament and design your own space mission patch.
Most events are free; all are open to the public. See the full calendar of activities planned here.
- The Star Wars C-3PO costume on display at the Museum of American History
- Bean to Bar: Mars Chocolate Demonstration, Dec. 5, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Museum of American History
- Family Day Activities, Dec. 5, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Air and Space Museum
- Italian Holiday Festival, Dec. 5, 11:30 a.m. at the American Art Museum
- Live Tarantula Feedings, Dec. 5, 11:30 a.m. at the Museum of American History
- Castle Highlights Tour, Dec. 6, 10:30 a.m. at the Smithsonian Castle
- Zoo Lights, Nov. 27-Jan. 2, 5-9 p.m. at the National Zoo