More than a dozen Maryland animal shelters are working to find homes for at least 2,000 cats and kittens across Maryland in July.
The 16 participating shelters are waiving adoption fees for cats and kittens all month long during an event called "Maryland 2,000," according to a release from the Frederick County Animal Control & Pet Adoption Center.
However, some smaller charges may remain. For instance, the fee at the Frederick County shelter is typically $97.50. This month, there will only be a $15.50 charge, which will go toward rabies vaccinations and county licensing, according to a press release from the shelter.
At the Maryland ASPCA, adoption fees are typically $55 for cats and $100 for kittens. This month, adopters will pay just $25 for an ID package, which includes a microchip, collar and personalized tag. (Check with your shelter of choice for specific fees.)
Shelters typically have influxes of new kittens who were born during the summer, commonly called "kitten season," which strains the resources offered by shelters across the state, according to the release from the Frederick County shelter.
"Kitten season is a busy time for animal shelters in Maryland," said Linda Shea, director of the Frederick County Animal Control & Pet Adoption Center, in the release. "This surge of kittens and moms coming into our already full shelters makes it critical that we find them all homes so we can continue to take in other cats and kittens who need our help."
The 16 participating shelters are:
- Anne Arundel County Animal Control
- Animal Welfare League of Queen Anne's County
- Baltimore Animal Rescue & Care Shelter
- Baltimore County Animal Services
- Baltimore County Humane Society
- Caroline County Humane Society
- Cecil County Animal Services
- City of College Park Animal Control
- Howard County Animal Control & Adoption Center
- Humane Society of Carroll County
- Humane Society of Harford County
- Humane Society of Washington County
- Frederick County Animal Control & Pet Adoption Center
- Maryland SPCA
- Talbot Humane Society
- Tri County Animal Shelter