Backstreet Boy Nick Carter Will Not Face Charges After Rape Allegation - NBC4 Washington

Backstreet Boy Nick Carter Will Not Face Charges After Rape Allegation

The accuser says she was well aware the statute of limitations would make charges unlikely

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    The Power of a Positive Attitude
    Nick Carter attends the premiere of Gravitas Ventures' 'Backstreet Boys: Show 'Em What You're Made Of' at on January 29, 2015 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images)

    Prosecutors in Los Angeles have declined to file charges against Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys after a singer reported last year that he had raped her in his apartment in 2003.

    Prosecutors said Tuesday that because the woman, Melissa Schuman from the group Dream, was 18 at the time, the statute of limitations expired in 2013. They did not evaluate the merits of Schuman's accusations.

    Carter's lawyer Michael Holtz said Carter denied the allegations from the start, was confident prosecutors would find no basis for charges and now feels vindicated.

    The accuser said in an email to The Associated Press Tuesday that she was well aware the statute of limitations would make charges unlikely, but it gives her solace to know her case has been documented, and she is happy she spoke out.

    The LA County District Attorney's entertainment sex crimes task force has declined charges in about two dozen cases brought to them, often due to expiration of the statute of limitations. At least 11 cases are under review.