Have you reached the point in life when "bottle service" has absolutely nothing to do with clubbing?
If so, bring your kiddos to First Night Alexandria, where you can ring in 2012 with a fun-filled family day and night that includes live music, games, magicians and more. Local restaurants, shops and historic buildings will transform into performance venues to showcase talent acts during the evening (7-11:30 p.m.).
Admissions badges are $15 online through Dec. 18. After that, they increase t0 $20.
If you go early, check out the third annual Fun Hunt kicks off at 1 p.m. at Durant Arts Center (1605 Cameron St., Alexandria). The scavenger hunt will have clues to lead you to information about historical plaques and buildings.
The hunt is estimated to take between 60 and 90 minutes, depending on how many breaks you take. All participants are asked to return to the Durant Arts Center by 4:45 p.m. to be eligible for prizes, announced at 5 p.m.
After the hunt, make your way onto the lawn of the George Washington Masonic Memorial (101 Callahan Drive, Alexandria) by 10 p.m. for a multimedia light show that goes on until midnight.
And what happens when the clock strikes 12?
This year features a ball drop -- but not like in Times Square. The city of Alexandria has bumped it up a notch and will drop 6,000 balls. Grab some, take 'em home, take a pic of yourself with them and your admission badge and post it to the First Night Alexandria Facebook page for a chance to win another prize.
Your kids will have a New Year's Eve that you won't soon forget. Not only because they'll remember it fondly, but because those balls will be all over your house. Fun times!
- 1-4:30 p.m. -- Third Annual Fun Hunt
- 1-3 p.m. -- Art activities for children at Torpedo Factory Art Center
- 1-3 p.m. -- Beading at Potomac Bead Co. (additional charge for this activity)
- 5 p.m. -- Kick-off Event at Durant Arts Center
- 7-11:30 p.m. -- 100 Live Performances throughout Old Town
- 10 p.m. -- Music on the lawn of the George Washington Masonic Memorial
- 11:30 p.m. -- Multimedia Finale at George Washington Masonic Memorial