A workgroup has failed to reach a consensus on gambling expansion in Maryland, meaning there will be no special session on the issue, and a sixth casino will not be recommended for Prince George's County this year.
After a three-hour delay Wednesday afternoon on the start of the group's final public meeting, the group of lawmakers and advisers to Democratic Gov. Martin O'Malley admitted that a consensus of the 11 members could not be reached.
The governor had said he would call a special session for next month, if lawmakers could reach a consensus on several issues.
The workgroup had been weighing whether to allow table games such as blackjack and roulette at five already-authorized casinos. The group also was considering a new casino site in Prince George's County.
Developers with National Harbor and MGM Resorts International announced last week that they have reached an agreement to bring a high-end casino to Prince George's County.
The proposed casino would include 4,000 video slot machines, 250 table games, retail shops, restaurants and a luxury hotel.
But those plans are now put on hold now that the special session won't take place.
"MGM Resorts is committed to Maryland, and our interest in National Harbor is unabated," Chairman and CEO Jim Murren said.
MGM will continue to work toward a goal of a National Harbor casino, Murren said.
In a statement released Wednesday evening, Prince George's County Executive Rushern Baker expressed disappointment, saying he supports the National Harbor casino in order to create thousands of jobs and revenue for the state.