What You're Doing This Weekend
Redskins Fan Appreciation Day, MidCity Dog Days, "Spaceballs" at AFI
What are you doing tonight? We offer up some suggestions:
FRIDAY, AUG. 3:
- Wildfire (Tysons Galleria, McLean, Va.) is dishing up a four-course tasting menu featuring cocktail pairings made with Cruzan Rum. Jade Holt of Cruzan Rum, will be on hand to discuss the pairings. Courses include grilled curry and mango shrimp skewers, and marinated Jamaican jerk chicken. Call 703-442-9110 for reservations. Reception 6:30 p.m.; dinner 7 p.m; $65 plus tax and gratuity.
- "Dr. Who" happy hour at the Black Cat (1811 14th St. NW) features one episode of timey-wimey adventures and drink specials. This week's ep is "Rose." 7-8 p.m.; no cover.
- Movies on the Potomac at National Harbor (pictured above) shows the 1995 fave "The American President," which seemed to think that to drive from Georgetown to the White House, you need to go through Dupont Circle, but is nonetheless an enjoyable film. Sunset; free.
SATURDAY, AUG. 4 and SUNDAY, AUG. 5:
- More than 70 local businesses are offering deals during MidCity’s Dog Days sidewalk fest. Go out for food, discounts, a dog show, music and Zumba all weekend. Nellie’s (900 U St. NW) is having a $25 all-you-can-eat special on brunch throughout the weekend and they’re offering your first mimosa free. See more deals and events here.
SATURDAY, AUG 4:
- Where can you go for R&B, hip-hop, jazz and go-go, all under one roof? Head out to the Summer Sprit Festival at Merriweather Post Pavillion (10475 Little Patuxent Parkway, Columbia, Md.). The festival features Erykah Badu, Common, Estelle, Eric Roberson, Dap-Kings and more. A tribute will honor the late Godfather of Go-Go, Chuck Brown. 3 p.m. doors; $44-$125.
- Ever wish you had your favorite Redskins player's autograph? Head over to Redskins Park (21300 Redskin Park Drive, Ashburn, Va. ) for Fan Appreciation Day, where players and coaches will sign autographs and mingle with fans. Prizes and giveaways will include autographed jerseys, helmets, footballs and T-shirts. Make sure you bring a lawn chair so you can sit down and watch the Redskins Marching Band, cheerleaders and practice. Parking lot opens at 8 a.m.; gates 9 a.m.; free.
- The D.C. Craft Bartenders Guild is throwing their annual Rickey competition at Jack Rose Dining Saloon (2007 18th St. NW). Your first "classic" Rickey will be on the house. Taste drinks prepared by six local mixologists competing to whip up the Rickey, D.C.'s official(ish) drink. The bartenders will be mixing things up on the rooftop and in the dining room by putting their own unique twists on the cocktail. 4-8 p.m.; $10 admission includes free classic Rickey.
- "Spaceballs" is turning 25, which means this could be your first time ever seeing it in an actual theater. May the Schwartz be with you at the AFI Silver Theatre (Colesville Road, Silver Spring), where all moviegoers will receive light-up candy lightsabers. You'll find raffle prizes, too: "Spaceballs"'s 25th Anniversary Edition on Blu-ray and Stars Wars Force FX Lightsabers. 5:45 p.m.; $11.50.
SUNDAY, AUG. 5:
- Didn't make it to the Olympics? Eh, we understand. But the leading Chinese acrobatic company, the Golden Dragon Acrobats, are ready to wow audiences at Wolf Trap (551 Trap Road, Vienna, Va.). See stunning feats of balance, gymnastics, dance and more. 2 p.m.; $15-$50.
- Evening Star Cafe (2000 Mt. Vernon Ave., Alexandria) is celebrating its 15th anniversary all weekend. On Sunday, relax with free coffee and housemade beignets on the patio. But make sure to order something, too -- it'll benefit the Scholarship Fund of Alexandria. 9 a.m.-noon; no cover.
- The Nationals play their last game in a series against the Marlins at Nats Park (1500 S. Capitol St. SE). Arrive early (12:25 p.m.) because two Nats players sign autographs before every Sunday home game. Bringing the young'uns? Stay late because kids ages 4-12 can run the bases after the game. First pitch 1:35 p.m.; $12 and up. Family Fun Pack starts at $14 for ticket, hot dog, chips and a drink.
Check Out the Scene: Keep up with what's happening in the D.C. area anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Sign up for our e-mail newsletters.