What You're Doing This Weekend
Two Restaurant Weeks, Health & Fitness Expo, and more
What are you doing this weekend? Niteside offers up some suggestions:
- The NBC4 Health & Fitness Expo returns to the Washington Convention Center (801 Mount Vernon Place NW) for two days of workouts, cooking and exercise demos, vendors and health info. If you've always wanted to try Zumba, here's your chance. Free classes will be given all weekend long, and if you pre-register for the first class on Saturday morning, you may get a free gift AND be on News4 with Doreen Gentzler! Jan. 14-15; 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; free admission
- D.C. Restaurant Week officially wraps up Sunday, Jan. 15. More than 200 eateries have been offering three-course prix-fixe menus -- but some are extending the deals into next week. Lunch $20.12; dinner $35.12, not including tax, tip or drinks.
- The D.C. Tattoo Expo is back in... well, not D.C., but the Crystal Gateway Marriott (1700 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington), through Sunday, Jan. 15. Go for live entertainment, Miss D.C. Pin-Up, vendors, a tattoo and body-piercing contest, skateboard art contests and more. Jan. 13-15; $20-$45.
- The International Motorcycle Show 2012 roars into the Washington Convention Center (801 Mount Vernon Place NW) for three days of entertainment, including a stunt show, a custom bike competition, test rides, vendors offering aftermarket accessories and more, through Sunday, Jan. 15. Fri. 4-9 p.m.; Sat. 9:30 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sun. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. One-day admission $20; three-day pass $30.
FRIDAY, JAN 13:
- Is your New Year's Resolution to rely on Autocorrect less? Well, probably not, but don't let that keep you away from the Rock & Roll Spelling Buzz at the Rock & Roll Hotel (1353 H St. NE), where you must have a drink in your hand to compete. Word lists include 4th-9th grade, theme and dirty. And "$6 gets you a 16oz PBR and a Shot of crap whiskey till it's over!" First place is a $60 bar tab. Signup starts 6 p.m.; first 40 people play at 8 p.m.; no cover.
SATURDAY, JAN. 14:
- Comedian George Lopez takes the stage at DAR Constitution Hall (1776 D St. NW). Lopez is by no means unfamiliar with the District -- he performed at Obama's inauguration. 8 p.m.; $69.
- Don't let go of your New Year's resolutions! Attend a Yoga Detox Workshop with Rose Stafiej at proFIT Club (E. Diamond Ave., Gaithersburg, Md.), where you can learn how to kickstart the body's natural detoxifying processes. 1-2:30 p.m.; $15 online; $20 drop-in.
SUNDAY, JAN. 15:
- Sunday marks your last chances to see "Billy Elliot: The Musical" and "Ann" -- a hilarious and thought-provoking show about former Texas Gov. Ann Richards -- at the Kennedy Center (2700 I St. NW). "Billy Elliot" $25-$150; "Ann" $54-$95.
Check Out the Scene: Keep up with what's happening in the D.C. area anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Sign up for our e-mail newsletters.