Sakura Matsuri Festival Bids Blossoms Goodbye
Free Cherry Blossom Festival Events
Christopher Jackson, Maryland
NBCWashington.com readers share their blossom pics. E-mail yours to firstname.lastname@example.org!
The National Cherry Blossom Festival is wrapping up this weekend. The pollen count is at about a zillion, and the blossoms have officially peaked. Your sinuses may be feeling kind of spent -- but as far as cost goes, many of the festival events are free.
Some fun things to do that don't cost a dime:
- The Cherry Blossom Festival Parade (Constitution Avenue between 9th and 15th Streets N.W.); parade free; grandstand seating ticket info here -- Saturday, April 10, 10 a.m.
- The 50th Sakura Matsuri Japanese Street Festival (Pennsylvania Avenue and 12th Street N.W.) hosts live performances on five stages, Japanese marketplaces, food and two Kirin Ichiban Beer Gardens -- Saturday, April 10, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Daily music, dance and performing artists at the Target Performance Stage at the Sylvan Theatre (15th Street and Independence Avenue S.W.); (see schedule here) -- Now through Sunday, April 11, noon
- Family Fun Zone near the Thomas Jefferson Memorial -- Saturday and Sunday, 10-11, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- The Cherry Blossom Ten-Miler (Washington Monument grounds, 15th Street and Jefferson Drive): If you're not up for the ten-mile run, opt for the 5K walk. No need to get all sweaty, right? -- Sunday, April 11, 7:45-11 a.m.
See the complete list of events here. Feel like a (short) trip? Some of the events spill out into Maryland and Virginia.