Looking for a little fitness and fun to fill your summer days? How about a group bike ride through Georgetown, a jog around the C&O Canal, or a free outdoor yoga class? How about doing all three, then scarfing down a crisp, tasty salad while sipping a cool, healthy drink?
If even the thought appeals to you, Georgetown’s the place to be at least once during the month of July. Throughout the month, Georgetown will host “Healthy Days of Summer 2010,” a healthy living promotion that will showcase the historic neighborhood’s variety of outdoor activities, as well as a group of fitness-minded merchants and restaurants where your health will be the most important item on the menu.
Although walks along Georgetown’s famed cobblestone streets are a popular way to burn off a few calories, residents will find many more fun ways to stay fit. Here are some samples:
- On Saturday, July 10, Lululemon Georgetown is sponsoring yoga classes on the lawn of Grace Church (1041 Wisconsin Ave., NW). Afterward, Sweetgreen’s Sweetflow Mobile truck will be parked nearby to pass out healthy treats. TD Bank Georgetown will supply the water to keep you hydrated.
- On Saturday, July 24, The Georgetown Running club sponsors an organized run around the C&O Canal, with refreshments provided at the company store (3401 M. St. NW).
There are also several free, ongoing events:
- Every Wednesday and Sunday at noon, take free yoga and join a free run club at Lululemon’s.
- Every Sunday (except the first Sunday of the month) Revolution Cycles offers a free group ride.
- Every Friday at noon, CycleLife hosts a free beginner’s ride and a free DC Velo fast group bike ride every Saturday.
After your workout, munch on a light, refreshing meal with air conditioning or al fresco at one of several restaurants. You‘ll also find discount coupons at area merchants. But don’t take our word for it. Log on to learn more: www.georgetowndc.com or www.twitter.com/georgetowndc.