Ask Liz: Differences Between Major Credit Bureaus
What are the differences between the three major credit bureaus? We contacted Experian, Equifax and TransUnion for this answer:
- All say that companies and credit providers can choose which credit bureaus to report to.
- Experian adds that a vast majority of lenders do report to all three.
- One additional difference is that Experian has recently started reporting rent information. So your apartment management company may report your payment history.
- A reminder: Check your credit reports for accuracy.
- You can get a free copy from each bureau every year at www.annualcreditreport.com.
- And to get more information on disputing inaccurate information, click here. That link will take you to the Federal Trade Commission's website.
Got a question for Ask Liz? Send it to email@example.com. You can also connect with the Consumer Unit on Facebook and Twitter!