Why can't you use regular laundry detergent in a high efficiency washing machine? The American Cleaning Institute told us:
- High efficiency washers are designed differently than normal washers to save water and energy.
- High efficiency detergents also have an entirely different formulation that works together with the high efficiency washer.
- Using a regular detergent in place of a high efficiency one can create too much suds in your machine and can cause overflow, overheating and residue build-up.
- Even using a smaller amount of regular detergent can still impact your washer’s performance-- so always stick with the higher efficiency detergent.
Can restaurants legally require diners to pay a gratuity fee? The Maryland Attorney General’s Office says:
- Restaurants CAN legally require patrons to pay a gratuity if this information is disclosed in advance.
- For instance, a restaurant’s menu might read "18% gratuity is added automatically onto the bill"
- As long as the patron knows in advance, restaurants are free to charge an extra amount for service.
- Daylight Saving Time was formally introduced to the U.S. in 1918.
- Today, most of the country observes Daylight Saving Time under federal regulation.
- The rules for Daylight Saving Time changed in 2007 for the first time in more than 20 years as an effort to reduce energy consumption.
- So now, Daylight Saving Time begins on the second Sunday of March and ends on the first Sunday of November.
- This year, daylight saving ends on Sunday, Nov. 7 at 2 a.m.
- At that time, clocks will be set back one hour and it will become 1am local standard time.
- Also, remember to change the batteries in your smoke detectors when you change your clocks.
Got a question for "Ask Liz"? Send any consumer questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.