What are we paying in taxes for gas in Maryland, Virginia and D.C.? The American Petroleum Institute helped us with this answer:
- In every state, a federal tax is applied to gasoline purchases. This federal tax is 18.4 cents per gallon.
- Then, each state adds an additional tax on top of that.
- In Maryland, there is a 23.5 cents per gallon state tax bringing the total tax to about 42 cents per gallon D.C. has the same gas tax as Maryland.
- In Virginia, there’s a 19.7 cents per gallon state tax and the total tax is about 38 cents per gallon.
- By comparison, the national gas tax average is about 48 cents per gallon. This means we are still paying less than most of the rest of the country.
Got a question you'd like us to consider for Ask Liz? Send it to askliz@nbcwashington. You can also connect with Liz and the Consumer Unit on Facebook and Twitter!
Published at 6:30 PM EDT on Mar 15, 2011