News4's Dianna Russini is in Richmond throughout Redskins Training Camp, and sending regular reports. Here's today's news from camp.
The Redskins are not in full pads today, Day 7 of training camp, although some of the players are in shells.
Pierre Garcon had a sore hamstring Monday but had no problems today. The big news today: Defensive end Jason Hatcher told me he will return to practice Aug. 8, the day after the Patriots game.
The team had yesterday off, which was a nice break for everyone.
The Redskins defense stood out immediately today as they came ready to work. Ryan Clark jokingly said with this great weather and lack of effort from the offense he would love a fruity drink with an umbrella!
DeAngelo Hall and DeSean Jackson are competing against each other in every camp session. Hall says at times he's so focused on shutting down the receiver, he'll lose focus on his other responsibilities.
Today during a third down play, RG3's pass came up short and DHall picked it off. DJax was right behind the play.
Tonight on News4 at 6, Hall draws out the play for us since we are not allowed to shoot that part of practice.
DeSean Jackson and I talked about how important it is to have Hall putting pressure on him in the open field: It only sharpens his game.
RG3 didn't look as fluid as he did Monday, but the team did run some read option today and he looked good running the ball! About one play when he beat everyone, he said he felt like that could have been a touchdown in a real game!
A couple of notes:
- The starters in the secondary will be Brandon Meriweather, Clark, Hall and David Amerson.
- According to offensive coordinator Sean McVay and head coach Jay Gruden, Amerson is showing growth and maturity this season based on what they see from an offensive perspective.
- WR Ryan Grant and RB Silas Redd are both getting more reps with the second team. Redd is an undrafted free agent and my camp dark horse.
- Chris Thompson, who was injured last season, is getting more reps and getting great attention from coaches.
- Clark is the camp comedian. He talks to EVERYONE. He makes the fans feel welcome here in Richmond.
- Andre Roberts who is going to return both punt and kick returns was fielding punts today and was catching/juggling six footballs at once. It was pretty cool.