Tom Sherwood gets reaction from D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray about new campaign controversy.
Officials are investigating new questions about D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray’s 2010 campaign. This time, they involve how his campaign raised and accounted for tens of thousands of dollars in cash.
A formal investigation into his expenditures had already been launched. Now a Washington Post investigation says Gray's campaign raised at least $57,000 in cash that exceeded the city’s legal limits of $25 cash contributions. Citing campaign finance records and interviews with donors, the Post reported that the campaign hid that money by issuing higher value and legal money orders using different names. It's unclear why it was done.
Before a commercial development groundbreaking on H Street NE Tuesday, Gray said he regretted that new questions are being raised.
“If mistakes were made, the campaign should be held accountable,” Gray said in a statement.
Gray's campaign already is being formally investigated for allegations by minor candidate Sulaimon Brown, who alleged Gray operatives paid him cash and money orders and later gave him a city job in exchange for his criticism of ex-Mayor Adrian Fenty on the campaign trail.
The ongoing investigations and reports are keeping Gray's administration off stride. Gray said he won't let the campaign questions distract him from his work as mayor.
Community leaders agree campaign and legal authorities need to clear the air as soon as possible.
The Office of Campaign Finance is investigating the new allegations.